Bedroom Update #3

1 Feb

Somehow, when I moved into my new place, my bedroom became a graveyard for cast off and hand-me-down furniture. A case in point.  Most of the furniture in there has really seen better days, and as soon as I have the time I will get it all repainted and updated.

DSCN0904

 

One of the items that I have struggled to part with is this: a rather sad looking, beat-up old blanket box. When I left uni I ended up living with my brother and a friend in a rather tumbledown basement flat – what it lacked in mod cons it completely made up for in warmth, ambience and good company. When we left there, I took this old blanket box with me. That was 2004, and I’ve lugged it from home to home,  storage, to two more homes, and finally to my new apartment. I think after 9 years of me procrastinating about it, I think the old blanket box has definitely earned some attention!

When I moved in, my bedroom was painted red and cream, and seeing as they are the colour of the curtains I already had, it’s stayed that way. The curtains are patterned in a faux velvet damask, which I thought would make a good stencilling motif for this project.

 

I bought some sheets of stencilling acetate (£3 for 2 A4 sheets) and traced a few of the details from the curtains, and cut my stencils. I used a leftover piece of underlay as a cutting mat (which is also very useful for pinning threads to when weaving!) Cutting the stencils was much easier than I expected, and I was also left with the relief patterns, which I’m sure I will find a use for at some point.

 

I sanded the box down and gave it a good scrub; then I varnished it with rosewood-colour quick dry varnish. Then it was time to start stencilling! The paint looks quite pink in the pics – it is exactly the same shade that’s on the bedroom walls (in fact it’s the left-over emulsion) but it looks pink here. The pics below help to illustrate the joys of furniture restoration when you live in a shoebox and the only outdoor space you’ve got is a metre wide and 2 metres long. And people wonder why there’s paint on all of my carpets!

 

There was a fair amount of to-ing and fro-ing with this – each stencilled image needed 3 to 4 coats, so I would say the whole paint job took 2 full days. I also embellished the detail on the front with a little bit of acrylic paint. Finally I varnished the whole lot with some clear quick-dry varnish.

Et voila! The battered old blanket box has a new lease of life! I’m really happy with how it turned out.

DSCN0949

 

 

Advertisements

One Response to “Bedroom Update #3”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. A Novice’s Musings on Upholstery – or how an old plush bench got me in a grump. « Welcome to my blog - 02/10/2013

    […] Hopefully, this will one day be bedroom update #4 (after 1, 2 and 3). […]

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

PHMMcr

Goings on at the People's History Museum, Manchester

Never Too Experienced

The lifestyle scrapbook of an honest lady who will always have something to learn.

Rockstar Dinosaur Pirate Princess

Tea, Dinosaurs and Feminism.

NUT in SPTA and Delta Academies

A site for NUT members in SPTA/Delta schools

NUT Area 3

Organising & campaigning news & casework updates from the NUT Yorkshire Midland Region (Area 3)

ginjointjen

This WordPress.com site is the cat’s pajamas

Funky Air Bear

Traditional & Modern Knits

PEEKO CRAFTS

Ramblings of an Irish knitter and yarn addict

My OBT

My daily quest for One Beautiful Thing (OBT)

Lattes & Llamas

we live for wool and bleed espresso

%d bloggers like this: