My summer embroidery is finished! And just in time – a friend of mine gets hitched today and I wanted to make her something special for her big day.
The hummingbirds were sourced from Jenny Hart’s wonderful Sublime Stitching Craft Pad, but the rest was sketched freehand. The theme of Jen and David’s wedding is ‘rainbow’, so I tried to use as many colours as possible without it looking like an explosion in a thread factory.
I obviously made the classic schoolgirl error (like always) of deciding to sketch straight on to the fabric with the first suitable implement I could find – which in this case was a pencil. You would think I would learn from previous mistakes, but clearly not! It was tough to get the pencil marks out of the fabric without either damaging the stitches (especially the chain stitches on the flowers) or warping the fabric. Most of the marks were around the monogramming, as I stitched, unpicked and restitched the wording at least twice, as I kept changing my mind over what colour it should be!
Finally I managed to clean the material up by soaking it in a cold Woolite solution, rinsing thoroughly and laying out flat to dry. I ironed the material carefully. It took a bit of manipulation to form the flower shapes from the chain stitches again, but eventually I managed it.
The material has been stapled into the frame which hopefully will keep the fabric taut and neat-looking.
I hope the happy couple have an unforgettable day!