Drum roll please…..
Let me present Dusty’s transformation into Goldie!
She is finally finished! I can’t believe this has nearly taken me a year – as one of my best friends said, she managed to conceive and deliver a child in the time it took me to complete this project, and the baby was 2 weeks late!
As this picture attests, I used individual pins rather than strip. Obviously this was considerably more time consuming, but I suppose (hope) all the more satisfying as I tapped in the last one. I found pinning the tacks much harder than I expected, but I guess it is one of those things that you improve at with practice, as I really sped up my technique as I progressed with the activity. I also recently learned that there is a spacing tool you can buy, which means you can line up 4 pins at a time and hammer them in. Perhaps I would have found that little nugget of information useful sooner!
This might be a good opportunity to apologise meekly to my neighbours, who had to listen to me hammer away for an hour each evening for weeks as I endeavoured to complete the work. So, “Sorry”, although I can’t guarantee that I won’t attempt some more audible crafting project in the future!
Of course, because the foam was already fixed in place when I recovered the panels, there were some areas which were ridiculously difficult to pin – endless attempts were made (and nerves lost) trying to neatly fix the seams on the far edge of the armrests and the lower edges of the backrest of the chair.
Also, I’m happy enough with how the tufting turned out, although I’m sure anyone with half a skill at upholstery will see the numerous flaws in the result. I certainly wouldn’t attempt this with such a variety of fabrics ever again – I suppose it’s lucky that I don’t plan to recover this item for at least 20 years!
However, in some ways it seems fitting that I chose these materials. As I mentioned right at the start of this project, the bench was handed down to me by my Grandparents, who also happened to source me a fabulous Christmas gift last year – an entire bag full of furnishing material off-cuts from a friend of theirs. The furniture and the fabric therefore really had to go together, and I hope they are pleased with the result. Thanks N&G!
The bench has been displayed in my hallway, for no other reason than that I am so proud of the piece that I want to see it from the doorway of every room.