I spent an unexpectedly wonderful evening in Doncaster last week with my friend and work colleague, Jeanette. On the third Thursday of every month, we attend book group at Doncaster Central Library, which happens to be directly opposite the new Doncaster arts centre, Cast. It turns out that as we left the library, we were just in time to watch a play by one of Jeanette’s favourite, quintessentially Northern, theatre troupes, Lip Service.
Their latest production is Inspector Norse, a self-assembly Swedish comedy crime thriller, with a passion for knitwear. This is especially topical for me, considering my recent Scandinavian trips!
I was amazed to see the set – every prop, accessory, and even body part had been knitted – Lip Service had held numerous knit-ins up and down the country to make the set, and craft groups had produced leaves, telephones, cats and mice, cuckoo clocks, brains, feet, and probably the strangest item, a knitted spanner.
At the interval, Maggie Fox and Sue Ryding, the writers and performers of the show, asked the audience to help decorate the stage for the second act – presenting a huge basket of hand-knitted leaves to clothe huge Ikea-style, flatpack trees.
What a wonderful, entertaining show! I won’t give too much away, but if you are lucky enough to attend, there is even opportunity for some light crafting of materials for a Walpurgis party at the interval…it will make sense when you get there!
If you want to catch Inspector Norse, there are still dates left – perhaps you could knit something for the show?
- Capitol Theatre, Horsham 9th October
- The Lakeside, Colchester 10th October
- Grand Opera House, York 18th October
- Key Theatre, Peterborough 24th October
- Square Chapel, Halifax 26th October
- Pocklington Arts Centre 7th November
- Neuadd Dwyfor Pwihelli 22nd November
- Studio at Queens Theatre Barnstaple 26th November
- Theatre Royal Margate 29th November
- Theatre Royal Brighton 30th November
- Salisbury Arts Centre 11th December
- Gloucester Guildhall 12th December
- Borough Theatre, Abergavenny 13th December
- Sale Waterside Arts Centre 16th – 18th December and 2nd-3rd January