Crochet Snowflakes – my third water work!

21 Feb

Right, I actually completed this at the end of the Summer and have been meaning to write it up – I finally got round to completing the third section of my aquatic tetraptych, this one produced in the medium of crochet!


On a recent visit to see Mummymau in Hampshire, we visited a yarn shop in Alton called The Knitting Habit, which stocked a fabulous range of  Drops Design yarns – I couldn’t resist! In particular, these cotton viscose yarns in pearly pastel shades caught my eye, and I couldn’t wait to get started on a new project. I’m sad to report that, since September, The Knitting Habit has closed! I will keep you updated if it reopens.


I had an idea to experiment with crochet snowflakes as Christmas decorations, and I found this fantastic tutorial  on the Attic 24 blog. The lovely pearly yarns lent themselves well to the design, as each of the stitches almost shimmered!


I completed 17 snowflakes in a variety of colours, ranging from greys and silvers to golds and greens. I liked the idea of trying to use them to make a geometric, tessellating pattern, so I laid them out in a number of different permutations until I was happy with it.

The shapes needed some stretching before I could go any further, so I pinned them out on a spare piece of carpet underlay (which comes in mightily handy for tasks like this!). The easiest way to do this was to pin 2 or 3 snowflakes, stacked on top of each other, with 6 long pins. I ended up with 5 or 6 small piles of flakes, each pinned to equal sizes. Using carpet underlay comes with an added bonus at this point, as the underlay I was using was printed with a grid on the surface, so it was simple to ensure the flakes were stretched to the same size.

 Once they were pinned, I lightly sprayed them with a home-concocted starch spray of 1 cup hot water and 1/2 tbsp cornflour. I waited patiently (ok, not that patiently) for them to dry, and then set about attaching the snowflakes together. DSCN2778

Rather than stitching them together with thread, I decided to unravel the final row of stitches on a number of the shapes, so that I could crochet them together. I ended up having to frequently refer back to photos of the correct design, and number the shapes so that I could remember which ones to unravel, and what order to hook them back together in. This was a bit time consuming, but I’m glad I did it as it has resulted in a much cleaner finish.


Now that the shapes were all joined, I pinned and starched the entire piece of material again, to even out the shapes. It was all coming together rather nicely! Once dry, I mounted it onto navy blue felt using a simple running stitch.


So, here is the finished article – a third water-themed work for the wall. I have absolutely no idea what to do for the final one, but if anyone out there has some ideas, please let me know!



6 Responses to “Crochet Snowflakes – my third water work!”

  1. Jacquline 02/21/2014 at 19:57 #

    This is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing! I love the finished project. I’ve been looking for a piece of space to fill in my craft room and this might just do it.


  2. mrsfoxfinery 02/21/2014 at 21:45 #

    You have put a lot of hard work into this and it looks really at home in it’s frame. Well done.


  3. thimblebead 04/16/2014 at 23:06 #

    I am just trying to teach myself to crochet and have a little bundle of circles. I feel inspired by these lovely snowflakes and your scarf- I will crack on keeping going!



  1. Scarves are like buses… | Welcome to my blog - 03/22/2014

    […] viscose by Drops Design every 16 lines. I’ve got quite a lot of this left over from the crochet snowflakes project, and I am totally in love with all of the colours. This was a simple, effective way of bringing out […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


Goings on at the People's History Museum, Manchester

Never Too Experienced

The lifestyle scrapbook of an honest lady who will always have something to learn.

Rockstar Dinosaur Pirate Princess

Tea, Dinosaurs and Feminism.

NUT in SPTA and Delta Academies

A site for NUT members in SPTA/Delta schools

NUT Area 3

Organising & campaigning news & casework updates from the NUT Yorkshire Midland Region (Area 3)


This site is the cat’s pajamas

Funky Air Bear

Traditional & Modern Knits


Ramblings of an Irish knitter and yarn addict


My daily quest for One Beautiful Thing (OBT)

Lattes & Llamas

we live for wool and bleed espresso

%d bloggers like this: